Just got the report from Quizmistress Katie, our Chicago BQT guru, and Chi-Town show No. 3 was another success! Despite some venue-specific tech issues (inevitable in the live-game-show world, trust me), we're majorly loving on Uncommon Ground, and plan to be back there in 2013. Schedule being worked out as I type this.
As for Thursday, it was an excellent, enthusiastic, high-energy night. Katie was joined by her new sidekick, Mr. Jon Lehman (a.k.a. her gay husband), making for some wonderfully unique onstage energy. And the night was marked by a surfeit of sweet Smart-Ass Points. For instance…
In 1997, in Las Vegas, Mike Tyson controversially bit off a chunk of BLANK’s ear. (Answer:
"some guy with an ear")
The clip of the Flintstones theme was not in Yiddish but in "Canadian." Pulp Fiction in Czech was actually "Elvish."
The mid-1990s band with the eight-word name was "Rage Against the Stone Temple of Soul Asylum."
And as part of the "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" audio round, who performed this charming hit from the late '50s?…
It was a razor-thing competition in the Three-Way Finale: Wizard Sleeves (came in dead last place the previous month!), Xbox Pancake (a two-person team, amazingly), and Whisper Kisses (which has quickly become our Chicago stalwarts; scored perfect on the audio round). After four questions, Xbox Pancake claimed the underdog victory, thanks to knowledge of this superlatively theme-songed cartoon.
1. Xbox Pancake: They each get a C-note!
2. Wizard Sleeves: Earned tickets to the Apollo Chorus's performance of Handel's Messiah, tix to the House Theatre's Nutcracker and $50 at Uncommon Ground.
3. Whisper Kisses: Picked up Chicago Filmmakers passes and Second City passes.
4. The Fiscal Cliffs: Returning champs; took home fun stuff from Graham Crackers Comics.
5. Knocked Up Duchess
6. Are You Smarter Than This 5th Grader: Yes, with an actual fifth-grader
7. Trannys or Grannys
8. Team Upp 2 Mupps
2013 looks to be exciting; we start the year with our first Illinois private quiz event, but the public ones will undoubtedly be back. Announcement soon.